06 Feb Top Spring Break Insurance Tips
Prepare for spring break by first evaluating your insurance.
Spring break is right around the corner. For some, that means a quick getaway for fun in the sun. For others, that means exploring foreign lands. If you’re planning on going on a spring break adventure this year, it’s good to be prepared beforehand. We’re not just talking about sunblock and maps – we’re talking about ensuring your home and journey is safe with the right insurance in hand.
If you plan on taking a trip this spring, make sure that your homeowners insurance is up-to-date. If you’re away for an extended period of time, thieves could take this opportunity to steal precious goods. Ward off thieves and disasters with these tips:
- Install motion-sensor lights around windows and doors
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked
- Remove items that could be used to reach second-floor windows, such as ladders or patio furniture
- Have the post office hold your mail until you return
- Disconnect major appliances in your house to protect them from power surges that may occur
- Leave a light on to make it look like someone is home
- Turn down the volume on the phone so that people cannot hear that no one is home to answer it
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check in on the house often
If you’re taking a road trip this spring break, be sure to double-check your auto insurance. Call your insurance agent to see if your coverage will work where you’re going. Talk through the limits of your coverage and increase if needed. As always, be vigilant on the roads:
- Never drive drunk
- Avoid distractions behind the wheel
- Take turns to drive with others
- Make frequent stops to stretch your legs, get some fresh air, and drink water
- Park in well-lit areas and remove valuables from sight
- If you’re leaving your car at home while you go on vacation, ensure it is somewhere safe and locked.
Are you going away for spring break? Make sure you’re protected first! When you’re looking for reliable insurance, visit the team at Doughtery Insurance. We offer quality personal insurance across Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana.