Is Your Home Safe from Carbon Monoxide?

Is Your Home Safe from Carbon Monoxide?

Is Your Home Safe from Carbon Monoxide?

Along with the fire alarm, now is the time to check your carbon monoxide alarm.

As the cold fall and winter months are fast approaching, it means more time spent indoors. While inside your home may seem safer than spending time out in the cold, there are many hidden dangers that lurk inside your home.

Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless, and colorless gas that can lead to illness and even death. Since the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble the symptoms of other illnesses, many people don’t realize they have carbon monoxide poisoning until some damage has been done.

Keep these simple safety tips in mind to help protect you and your family from carbon monoxide while more time is spent in the house this winter.

  • Hire a professional to check all of your gas-run systems in the house before using them regularly for the winter. A professional will ensure the appliance is burning properly and is suitably vented.
  • Never leave a car idling in a garage (even if the garage door is open).
  • Keep portable generators at least 20 feet from an open window.
  • Never use a charcoal barbeque inside a home or tent.
  • Never use a gas oven to heat a home.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home. For an extra level of protection, consider installing a CO alarm in every bedroom of your house.

One of the most important parts of providing protection from carbon monoxide is to make sure that you have the right homeowners insurance policy, which can provide the right amount of protection to fit into your lifestyle. Get in touch with Kevin or Marci at Dougherty Insurance who can help.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.