07 Sep What to Do When You Get a Flat Tire
If your tire pops on the road, here’s what to do.
It happens to the best of us. Whether you run over a sharp object or your tires wear down so much that they rip, getting a flat tire can happen to any of us. When this does happen, you’re left with the hassle of either changing it yourself or towing the vehicle to the nearest mechanic to have them replace it. When you discover that you have a flat tire, what you do next is critical to your safety.
When your car is parked:
- Inspect it to see if you can spot any foreign objects such as a nail or a staple in the thread. If you don’t feel anything, your tire might just be low on air.
- Put on your spare tire. It’s never wise to patch it yourself. Put your spare on and drive to a nearby service center for repair.
- Don’t drive long distances on your spare tire as this can cause more damage to the tire’s casing and integrity.
- If you don’t put the spare on, call Roadside Assistance.
When you’re driving:
If you don’t hear your tire going flat, you’re going to feel it. When you have a flat tire, and you’re driving, it’ll feel like your vehicle if being pulled to one side and that you can’t accelerate.
- Safely and swiftly pull over. Get as far to the edge of the road as you can so that you’re not at risk of getting injured by opening your door and getting out to inspect the tire.
- If you have safety cones, set them down behind your vehicle to give other drivers an extra warning.
- Put the spare tire on or call Roadside Assistance.
Roadside Assistance is a valuable coverage within your auto insurance policy! The tow truck will either take your car to the nearest mechanic or the mechanics can help you to change your tire, if you have a spare, so that you get back on the road quicker!
Are you ready to secure Roadside Assistance in your auto insurance policy? At Dougherty Insurance, we represent multiple carriers and are able to explore all of the best options to suit your needs. We want to make sure that you have the coverage you need – it’s our job to help you! Contact us today for unparalleled auto insurance in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana.